Thursday, January 7, 2010

CSA pick-up - where did all the squash go?

This week was another squash-free CSA pick-up. We received the following:
  • daikon radishes (made a good relish using these at Thanksgiving)
  • cabbage (ugh)
  • sweet potatoes
  • lettuce (not sure what kind it is, but it's very delicate)
  • mushrooms (the special item this week)
  • milk (every week)
  • eggs (every week)
This means there will either be more Squash-Free recipes, or I will start posting any interesting meal we make whether it has pumpkin/squash or not.

Monday night I made the Gingered Butternut Squash Soup with a few substitutions - only one apple, no carrots, and 3 small instead of 2 medium potatoes. I thought this meal would last the week. I was wrong. It was gone by Wednesday and I only had one serving. Next time may call for a double recipe, although an immersion blender would make things easier. Even with the regular recipe, I can't fit all of the soup in the blender at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment